* Dec. 30 Update: Moar entries have arrived. You have until 9pm tonight to submit yoars!
First off, we have RainbowRider by Mark Paolo Cabrera of Indigo Entertainment. It’s like NyanCat minus the cat! Sourcecode is in the Wonderfl embed link below.
RainbowRider – wonderfl build flash online
Next, we have Budgetron by Josh Bautista written in HTML, JS & CSS. Sourcecode here: http://pastebin.com/V2TC06Fn
Finally, we have two entries by Earl Vergara, an minecrafty-looking isometric mapmaker demo where you can drag tiles then raise their heights and then a megaphone demo using the Flash microphone API. AS3 Source is viewable on the Wonderfl embeds below:
Map Maker Demo – wonderfl build flash online
Megafone – wonderfl build flash online
We’ve still got a few hours left ’til tonight’s 9pm Philippine time (GMT+8) extended deadline for entries, so submit now!
* Dec. 28 Update: A Winner Is You and an Extension!
Currently, we have 1 winning entry, the pure awesomeness that is SimplePiano.as by Ian Icasiano – an entire AS3 project that compiles to a mini Piano synthesizer which can be controlled via keyboard or mouse clicks (with randomly colored keys on every load!)
Ian’s entry can be grabbed at: http://pastebin.com/0Jez9hJf and the compiled output is below.
We have one more license of an entire Adobe CS5.5 Premium Suite for grabs and the deadline has been extended to 11:59pm tonight, Wednesday Dec. 28 Manila Time (GMT +8) to allow for additional submissions. So what are you waiting for? Submit NAO by e-mailing your entry to phlashers at gmail dot com!
*** Dec. 24, 2011: UPDATE – How to submit: ***
- Pack your projects into a compressed .Zip or .7z file (you can use the free 7Zip tool for that),
- E-mail it to phlashers at gmail dot com along with your full name, the name of your entry, contact number, and website, blog or twitter account if you want to share any of those.
- Register and make a comment at the bottom of this blog post stating your name, the title of your entry and the zipped filename that you sent for confirmation.
3 days left for the challenge. Please spread the word and Happy holidays!
It’s that time of the year again for our annual 5KB code-driven competition!
This yearly contest is inspired by the following:
Anyway, onto the…
- Create something code-driven and entertaining with source files not exceeding 5KB (5120 bytes) total.
- Submissions may be in the following formats:
- .FLAs + AS1/AS2/AS3 code, whether inline or external
- Flex MXML submissions to be used with the stock Flex SDK. Additional libraries will count towards the 5KB limit
- AS3 code to be run on http://wonderfl.net or in Flash Builder/FlashDevelop MXMLC projects
- .SWCs are *not* allowed.
- Your submission MUST properly run on the latest non-beta versions of ALL the following browsers:
Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome, Apple Safari. No need to get it running on Microsoft Internet Explorer because Windows XP users are stuck with IE8.
- All entries will be made downloadable by everyone to check out, so they must be submitted under an open-source license. You retain all rights to your submissions.
- For tagging, all submissions must contain “2011 Phlashers.com 5KB Challenge” somewhere in the code which *will* count towards the 5KB limit. Remember that your entries will be spread through the net freely for download, so feel free to leave your name & other dstinguishing comments on your submissions because your submissions must be self-explanatory. Any accompanying “readme.txt” or the like will count towards your 5kb.
- All entries must be in by Tuesday, December 27, 2011 at 11:59pm Philippine Time (GMT +8). That’s an entire week. Demoscene and Ludum Dare participants only get one weekend.
We will be shortly posting where to send your submissions. Check again within the next 2 days. Meanwhile, get cracking!
Your entry will be judged on:
- Output aesthetics, creativity, originality and PURE AWESOMENESS.
- Judging will also be *heavily* influenced by code aesthetics, readibility, witty variable/function names and comments. Nobody likes boring code. ASCII art is encouraged!
Our panel of judges will be announced in the coming days.
We will be having 2 grand prizes of one original Adobe CS5.5 Premium Suite for each grand prize winner. If at least 20 students join the contest, we will allocate one of these grand prizes for a separate student category to even the playing field. By student, we mean college undergraduates and younger. Grad School & PhD candidates fall under the “Professionals” category.
We’re currently looking for additional people/groups willing to sponsor prizes, but currently, we do have some original Steam game licenses to give away to finalists.
Feel free to work in teams, but note that it is up to you to decide how to split up your prize as the Adobe Premium Suite license cannot be split up into their component products. Same with the Steam gift licenses. Feel free to submit multiple entries, but note that you may win only once.
- You must be a member of one of the following Adobe user groups (sign up by clicking on the appropriate links)
- You must either be a Filipino Citizen, a Filipino living abroad or be of Filipino descent. You must also submit to a wacky Skype conference in Filipino if the previous are in doubt.
That’s basically it for now. Check this blog post daily as we’ll be updating it with more details.
Post your comments below for questions and get your code on!!!strong,